Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Broken Leg


We went to Tropic for Mother's Day last Thursday. Friday morning, Lainey missed the step that goes from the kitchen into the living room in my mom's house and landed hard on her right leg. She cried a little, but not for very long, so we thought she was okay. A little while later, however, she wouldn't put any weight on it, so we decided to take her to the hospital in Panguitch. The doctor checked her out, twisting and tugging on her leg and she didn't cry or anything, so he thought it was just a pulled muscle but wanted to have some x-rays done just in case. (Lainey did cry during the x-rays, but that is a big scary room and a big scary machine!) They did reveal that she had in fact broke her leg, or well kinked it anyway. It is her fibula (the small bone in the lower leg). The doctor explained it like if you were to bend old celery, it wouldn't snap, just bend or kink. She gets to wear this fun little fiberglass splint for 3 to 4 weeks (according to the Dr. in Panguitch... we're going to Primary Children's Fracture Clinic tomorrow for a follow up) The doctor said that in his 18 years of practice, this is the youngest person he has seen with a broken leg. Lainey is now able to walk with her splint, and she is doing really well (except for an ear infection) and isn't put out at all. I just wish that we didn't feel so awful about it! It was really hard to choke back the tears when the doctor was showing us the x-rays. I just kept thinking that our little girl is hurt and broken, and that it wasn't something that I could kiss better. I have just wanted to hold and cuddle with her and she has wanted to be 'babied' which has really been good for both of us. She was getting to be quite the independant and demanding soul! So anyways... there's our drama... I hope you all had a happy Mother's Day!













She's still smiling!


Grandma LeFevre, my mom, me and Lainey... 4 generations!

3 comments:

Katie Dotson said...

Awwwww... Poor little Lainey. I just want to cry for you. Cooper hasn't really ever been badly hurt(knock on wood) just little boo boos. I can't imagine going through that with my baby. I hope all is well and we will keep her in our prayers. Keep in touch.

Hillary said...

Even with a broken leg she is STILL the cutest baby ever!!!

Nathan and Esther said...

poor little girl! that is so sad! I hope she gets feeling better! She does look super cute with that cast, though!

p.s. you are looking great!